List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [Ilugc] email notification in irc
From:       Bhuvaneswaran A <bhuvan () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2009-10-30 5:54:28

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan@gmail.com> wrote:
> What to do for the apps, where we have no control?
>
> For example, I can not request twitter.com to send notification to a
> IRC or send mail.
>
> It is out job to monitor twitter and send a mail.
>
> My program should monitor a page/rss/mail for a change and notify in any form.
>
> working on this and will update the results.

Writing an irc bot is easy. For instance, the notifications about svn
commits are sent to irc bot by calling the bot script from svn
post-commit script. The bot script can send snippet of log message to
specified irc server/channel.

Right, you can monitor a page/rss and send notification to the irc
channel. As per email, you can if you have access to email server, or
keep monitoring the emails using a email client. Accordingly you can
send notifications to the irc channel.

Please refer to this link for a sample script that is hooked to svn
post-commit script for sending commit notifications to irc channel:
  http://happynerds.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/irc-message-after-svn-commits/

I'm sure you can write one similar, or tailor the above script to suit
your requirement. Thanks!

--
Regards,
Bhuvaneswaran A