List:       ilugc
Subject:    Re: [OT] Hans Reiser in the news (was Re: [Ilugc] reiserfs RHEL )
From:       "Sivasankar Chander" <siva.ilugc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-29 6:30:42

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 5:21 PM, Sivasankar Chander <siva.ilugc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 9/28/06, Roshan Mathews <rmathews@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> This is totally OT ... but Hans Reiser was in the new some time back:
>> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/13/MNG34L4TIJ109.DTL
>>
>>  There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.
>
> http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=4558883
>
> I fear that it doesn't look too good for Hans Reiser - he sounds like a
> nutcase at times.
>
> However, I'd say there are numerous suspects in the picture - Sean
> Sturgeon, the boyfriend, the Russian Mafia, etc. This is looking like
> a full-fledged conspiracy theory case now. The wife could even have
> faked her disappearance and vanished to Russia.
>
> Reiser isn't helping his case much by his non-cooperation with the
> police.
>
> Looks like my hunch was right - Reiser didn't help his case much by
his actions, shooting his mouth off in testimony, and getting
convicted unanimously by a 12-person jury:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=us&q=hans+reiser&btnG=Search+News

I'm still a bit amazed that the jury could return a verdict of
premeditated murder in case where it isn't yet proven that
the victim is dead, and there was little evidence of
premeditation other than some emailed threats (not
unlike Usenet flames).

Hans Reiser must look like an utterly disagreeable person
to most reasonable persons, regardless of whether he
comitted the murder or not - though my instinct tells me
that he committed an impulsive murder (not premeditated),
and then bumbled around looking for ways to dispose off
the body, finally strapping it to his car seat and dumping
it in a lake or reservoir somewhere, then came back and
tried to erase any evidence of his actions.

-Siva

P.S. There's no death penalty in California for this
conviction, but he's effectively out of circulation for
good.