List:       ilugc
Subject:    [Ilugc] Re: [OT]Generating traffic on blog
From:       Manoj Srivastava <srivasta () debian ! org>
Date:       2007-12-26 15:30:09

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:44:42 +0530, Mano
<manokaran@gmail.com> said:

> On Dec 26, 2007 1:09 PM, Anoop John
> <anoopjohn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Interesting read indeed. I liked the comparisons of peasants and the
>> great lord. The vast majority of the peasants are doomed in any case.
>> Rather than depend on the lord always, if the peasants start
>> depending on each other until a few of them get to a stage where they
>> can compete with the lord, a few could become lords themselves,
>> leaving the rest of the peasants to defend for themselves. Back to
>> square one and the ubiquitous exponential distribution still rules :)
>>

> But thats the way it should be! I have to spend a limited commodity
> (my time) wisely for my own sake. I don't have the time to read each
> and every peasants rants. Instead, I wouldn't mind spending my time on
> a 'lords' rants though. After all, lot of peasants have elected
> him/her to be the lordship.  Only, in this case the election was
> fair. A lordship cannot bequeath his/her estate to their heirs! The
> heirs are peasants too and will have to fight to become a lord.

        I think the underlying fallacy is the reason that these people
 are blogging.  If they are blogging to make money via ads, or if they
 think blogging gives them influence, then there is bound to be
 disappointment; since very few of the top ever achieve either goal.

        Like free software, blogs are best if you are blogging to
 scratch your own itch; because then the  the satisfaction in your own
 work does not depend on external factors; but within yourself.  I think
 I have just re-phrased the Bhagawata Geeta for the modern age :-)

        manoj
--
Live fast, die young, and leave a flat patch of fur on the highway! The
Squirrels' Motto (The "Hell's Angels of Nature")