List:       ilugc
Subject:    [Ilugc] BMS College of Engineering - Installation and
From:       "Aanjhan R" <aanjhan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-24 18:29:02

Hi All,

Praveen (http://pravi.co.nr) and myself have been working with the BMS
College of Engineering (http://www.bmsce.ac.in/) folks for around 6
months now and things are beginning to show results. Hats Off to the
students!

Today we were there for a Installation and Troubleshooting session.
The session was attended by around 50 - 60 students in one of the CS
Labs. After briefing the FLOSS Philosophy and pros/cons of proprietary
software to (new)students (How FLOSS could help in Knowledge
acquisition) , the installation session began. We had asked the BMS
LUG folks to handle it and they did it quite well. Installed Fedora,
Debian and Ubuntu on around 6 boxes that were offered by the BMS
College Management.

A lot of doubts were cleared in the discusions that followed with
active participation from the students themselves (not only asking
questions but answering questions posted by their peers)

Whats astounding is these events are now being organised by second
year students after some nice work/motivation from the current final
years. They have already quite a few sessions planned up and also a
major Awareness campaign around end of April for Bangalore Colleges.

Also there are now atleast 8 SoC project Applications going out from
this college after some morale boosting sessions which Praveen, Akshay
(BMS Final Year), Srikanth and myself had with these folks a couple of
weeks before.

Happy to see the BMS LUG begining to ROCK!! Keep Rolling mates! And
the end feedback was that the students asked for more such informative
sessions. Nice to hear this!

Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tuxmaniac/sets/72157600024313523/

OT: BMS College has a Mountaineering Club!!! They do rock climbing,
mini bungee jumping and stuff during the weekends! Surprised me!!

Reggies.
--
Aanjhan