List:       ilug
Subject:    Re: [ILUG] Media player hardware recommendation
From:       Jonathan McCrohan <jmccrohan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-25 18:29:48

Hi Ronan,

On 24/04/11 18:04, Ronan Mullally wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations on media player hardware.  Small
> footprint, low power (built in PSU would be great), very quiet (ie no fan)
> HD output and 5.1 audio (ideally via HDMI or fibre TOSlink) are the main
> requirements.  I don't need wifi, 100baseTX would be enough.
>
> I'm not particularly worried about DVDs, more streaming media from a file
> server, though DTV would be a plus.  IR support would be nice too (perhaps
> re-using my old Xbox remote).  I'm probably going to run XBMC, most likely
> on Ubuntu.
>
> The Fit PC (http://www.fit-pc.com) is the kind of thing I'm thinking of
> (but uses a clunky 3.5mm ->  RCA cable for audio).  Are there any
> alternatives out there that have built in DTV or other funky media
> functionality?

I've got an AppleTV 1.0 running Ubuntu 8.04LTS and XBMC Dharma.

It works quite well, and seems to meet your specifications. It is old
hardware though, and not quite up to 1080p decoding. 1080p seems to be
possible however with a Broadcom CrystalHD card, but I haven't tried.
That said, it upscales 720p and DVD ISOs perfectly.

It might be worth looking into. You might be lucky and find an Apple
Fanboi ditching one in favour of the newer model.

Regards,
Jon