List:       ilug
Subject:    [ILUG] Setting global ulimits
From:       Kieran Tully <Kieran.Tully () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-10-28 18:21:26

Is there a standard place for global ulimit settings?
I'm aware of /etc/security/limits.conf, but AFAIK that only
applies to PAM sessions, so won't affect processes run
at startup.

To explain, I have a non-root cron job which needs to open up
to 4096 files simultaneously. Processes on this box are normally
limited to 1024 file descriptors:

[root@lydian root]# ulimit -n
1024

Where are these defaults set - in the kernel source code?

For now I've put ulimit -n 4096 at thje top of /etc/rc.d/rc,
but this feels very much like sledgehammer-nut territory.

This is on a 2.4.2 kernel (Red Hat 9).

--
Kieran Tully, Software Developer and Tenor, http://kieran.tul.ly