List:       ilug
Subject:    Re: [ILUG] IRC on the web
From:       Brian Foster <blf () blf ! utvinternet ! ie>
Date:       2005-10-26 17:43:01

  | From: Niall O Broin <niall@linux.ie>
  | Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:08:44 +0100
  |
  | On 26 Oct 2005, at 09:47, Ruairi Newman wrote:
  | > [ ... ]  The bigger issue is the blocking of outgoing traffic
  | > to port 6667 and friends.

 yep.  this is (I think) the problem I have
 at work with trying to connect to the IRC
 server.  ;-(

  | > Now, if the irc client used port 80 or 443 outgoing and got
  | > redirected to port 6667 on irc.linux.ie, THAT would be handy.
  |
  | That's EXACTLY what it does AIUI.  The IRC client is on the server,
  | and the java web app talks to that. Of course, my understanding
  | could be total arse.

 I was vaguely hoping a similar thing, which
 is why I tried it.  no joy.  block IRC traffic,
 the applet doesn't work; not blocked, it does
 "work" (only if you have perfect vision in an
 ideal viewing environment?  maybe.).

cheers!
	-blf-
--
Experienced (20+ yrs) kernel/software Eng: | Brian Foster   Montpellier,
 • Unix, embedded, &tc;  • Linux;  • doc;  | blf@utvinternet.ie   FRANCE