List:       ilug
Subject:    Re: [ILUG] Re: does afio work with cdrecord?
From:       Patrick Stack <lists () adeptassociates ! net>
Date:       2005-08-30 11:26:54

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 19:59 +0200, Brian Foster wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions, Brian. I went the tar route as outlined
below.
>  how are you going to recover yer files?
>  cat(1) the split(1) parts back together first,
>  or what?

I used split on the resultant .tar.gz file and then mkisofs.
I then burned the images onto CD.

>  now, the compression (`.gz') will probably foul
>  up my `split' suggestion below, so you probably
>  can(/should) ignore it, but ....
>
>  if you want to use split(1) — and there _may_
>  be a better method — I'd suggest instead of
>  blindly `split'ing the tar(1) archive, break
>  it apart in-between archived files (i.e., at
>  file boundaries).  be sure to append `tar's
>  EoA mark to each part.

That's still a bit beyond my current knowledge/competence I'm afraid.

>  the reason for doing so is that if you blindly
>  break an archive in the middle of a saved file,
>  and then the 2nd CD has read/whatever problems,
>  you _could_ loose everything in at least that
>  part of the total archive; i.e., on the 2nd CD.
>  subsequent CDs (3rd, 4th, etc.) _could_ also
>  be a problem.  (not necessarily; depends on
>  lots of details; i.e, yer kiloage varies.)

This is what worried me and lead me to explore afio first.
To be certain of the integrity of my data I copied the cd images onto an
RH9 box, used cat to reassemble the .tar.gz file and untarred it. The
backup worked so I proceeded with the upgrade to FC4 without any
problems, and restored ~patrick without a hitch.

[SNIP]

Patrick

--
Irish Linux Users' Group