List:       ilug
Subject:    Re: [ILUG] Swapping caps lock and control
From:       Niall O Broin <niall () linux ! ie>
Date:       2005-05-31 9:30:06

On 31 May 2005, at 09:11, Barry O'Donovan wrote:

>> That does the trick nicely, but why on earth is it necessary? In my
>> innocence I assumed that KDE, running on top of X, would simply use
>> whatever X handed it.
>
> From a quick check of SVN it looks like xkb rules parser was not
> updated
> to read the xorg layout options (as opposed to XFree86) until
> 29/8/2004. That means it may have made it into some 3.3.x service
> releases if it was backported as a bug fix but at the very least it'll
> be in 3.4.

Thanks for that Barry. Setting things in the control center worked
fine, so I don't need to use the workaround mentioned. However, it was
my understanding that as an X client, albeit a fairly large one, KDE
had to take what it was given from the X server. Clearly my
understanding of the interaction between the X server and KDE was
erroneous.

Niall

--
Irish Linux Users' Group