List:       ilug
Subject:    [ILUG] Reccomend a distro for the offline user.
From:       JR <turnloosetheswans () eircom ! net>
Date:       2005-04-19 15:51:46

A friend of mine wants to try linux, and is looking to me. I would ususally
reccomend Mandrake because I can offer help. Also, updating and
downloading/installing software is a synch. It also gives him the option of
staying with a nice gui frontend (good MDK tools), or using the prompt.

But he has no internet connection, so it must be stable (ish) from the start.
He wants to edit videos from his digital camcorder and do regular desktop
stuff.

Again, I'd usually recommend mandrake, but he wont be online to download
updates. It's a great distro, but you in my experience, you need to be online
for the first week or two to iron out the bugs.

Thanks for reading this far,

Jarlath
--
Irish Linux Users' Group