List:       ilug
Subject:    RE: [ILUG] OT: folks who've had trouble getting online in Ireland
From:       <Andrew_Morgan () Dell ! com>
Date:       2004-07-29 9:52:29

Hi guys,

Even when you get the line installed the problems wont stop there... I have had a \
Netopia modem for 4-5 months now and it insists in dropping the ipaddress/password \
regularly without fail. I have emailed tech support and customer (dont)care about the \
problem, they told me to ring the tech support line.

When I rang tech support I'm told that paying for a static ip will fix this (WTF) and \
that there broadband service is a "Best effort" service as the quality of the lines \
is poor (that would have been nice to know before hand, maybe they should put that in \
the ad).  after having the technician spout of buzzwords and string sentences \
together containing DHCP, POTS, COPPER LINES, PPOE etc in the strangest of orders he \
decided to tell me that there isn't anything he can do to help.

Now I'm not usually a complainer, but when you are dealing with a technician with the \
personality of a dry dog biscuit and mentality of a yellow canary I got fed up, I \
requested to speak to a manager. The manager called me back 3 hours later (promised \
max of 1 hour wait) and told me he would have a technician call me back to replace \
the modem, that was 2 weeks ago.

I think the underlying attitude for eircom is:

pay peanuts, hire monkeys.
Don't keep promises that you have made to customers and hopefully they wont call back \
again.

Im currently taking legal action against them.

Andrew