List:       ilug
Subject:    [ILUG] Re: OT: Folks who've had trouble getting online in Ireland
From:       SK <sliabh () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-07-28 15:06:27

> No Offense to people from Monaghan or anywhere else
> in the country, but
> I am living about 100 yards off the N11, 8 miles
> from Dublin City
> Centre, and I have been told that I can't get DSL,
> and that it's
> unlikely that I ever will be able to get it.
I can top that. I am in Ranelagh, Dublin 6, 20 minutes
walk from the Dail and I can't get DSL or reliable
dial up.

I have suffered from slow speed (rarely above 30kbps)
regularly being dropped off after a few minutes and
having to repeatedly dial up to get a connection
(being charged each time). The Eircom.net people said
it was a line fault and I should lie to the Eircom
(phone company people) but that has got me nowhere
either. DSL of course was never a runner with such a
poor line. ESAT and Eircom have both failed the line
even though we are within the distance to the
exchange.

I won't even go through the 6 months it took me to get
disconnected from Eircom.net's subscription service
(and I had to get Com Reg to help me get my refund).

I told this to Elana and RTE contacted me but I am in
Germany until Friday so the nation doesn't get to hear
my tale of woe :-(

Ripwave sounds interesting though. Is it well behaved
with Linux?

SK