List:       illumos-discuss
Subject:    [discuss] =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_=CE=A3=CF=87=CE=B5=CF=84=3A_Re=3A_=5Bdiscuss=5D_?= =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_UNIX_on
From:       "Dale Ghent" <daleg () elemental ! org>
Date:       2016-08-22 7:09:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> On Aug 22, 2016, at 2:28 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos via illumos-discuss \
> <discuss@lists.illumos.org> wrote:
> Sumilarly, you can run your server thing on
> virtualization just like I can run my
> desktop on virtualization... Of course,
> the problem here is that we are talking
> about an OS and not about what you or me
> like. Every OS should have a GUI.
> Command line belongs to the middle
> ages. This means that the leaders
> of an OS must do everything in their
> power to ensure that it will have a
> GUI. I think this is not the case here.

You're right, it's not the case here. At the same time, no one is sitting in a big \
chair at illumos world headquarters ordering a stop to any attempt to make illumos \
desktop a reality. That is because no such thing and no such people exist. The people \
who do contribute a lot to illumos simply have no interest in working on \
desktop-related tech.

Like many OSS projects, this is a participatory meritocracy, where individual people \
identify a need and put forth the effort - on their own initiative - to realize a \
solution for that need and/or organize like-minded people to assist. However it would \
be wrong to expect to make people do work that they have no personal or professional \
interest in doing. Apache HTTPD didn't get HTTP/2 support because someone at ASF \
commanded that it happen - a member of the community realized the need for it, \
initiated the project, and now Apache has HTTP/2 support. This is how OSS works. This \
is how OSS communities /should/ work.

If someone wishes to make a project around illumos desktop and recruit people into \
the project who can and want to code the things that need to be coded, or port the \
things that need to be ported, and all the other aspects that would be involved - \
that would be great and I'm sure that person would find the support if they are clear \
in the plan and orderly in their interactions.

My personal opinion is that OSes do not /require/ a GUI in order to be an OS, and if \
I want a UNIX desktop for my personal needs, there are far more mature and featured \
OSes out there that do a much better job of being a desktop OS than illumos could \
ever be in years. But that's just my own opinion, and I respect those who feel \
differently - but the obligation to make it happen is on them if they wish for it.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]