List:       illumos-developer
Subject:    Re: [developer] 13795 Encrypted zfs is not compatible with openzfs
From:       "Patrick Mooney via illumos-developer" <developer () lists ! illumos ! org>
Date:       2021-06-23 18:42:58

> And on ZoL:
>
> * Old pools from illumos (without the flag) will import ok but may
> encounter EIO on read. Doing `zpool upgrade` on them will not fix the
> issue (it'll just switch on the no-op feature), and if you do it and
> then pull them into illumos you won't be able to fix them.
> - Seems nasty. Maybe we should upstream the upgrader then?
>
> Does that seem right? After writing that out I'm kind of inclined
> towards trying to upstream the upgrader (so that there's a decent method
> to fix up an illumos pool that's breaking if you've moved it to a ZoL
> machine), but I'm not sure ZoL will want it, given from their
> perspective this is basically all just our fault?

I've been under the impression that the plan of record for ZFS on illumos is to \
eventually switch to the OpenZFS codebase.  If that's the case, isn't it imperative \
that we upstream the upgrader?  (Or at least provide a long window for illumos-ZFS \
users to fix their pools prior to the OpenZFS transition?

--
Patrick Mooney