List:       illumos-developer
Subject:    Re: [developer] 7096 vioif should not log to the console on boot, or ever
From:       "Joshua M. Clulow" <josh () sysmgr ! org>
Date:       2016-06-27 23:15:05

On 10 June 2016 at 08:02, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek <jeffpc@josefsipek.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:17:42 -0700, Robert Mustacchi wrote:
>> https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/rmustacc/public/webrevs/7096/index.html
>
> vioif.c:722: Excuse my ignorance, but is this comment not valid and that's
>         why it got removed?  I understand that the new counter does the
>         "update sc_norxdescavail", but is the part about updating
>         sc_norecvbuf important to keep?  That is, it'd suck to come back to
>         this code in a year and go "why is sc_norecvbuf being updated???".

I pulled it out because it was mostly just unhelpful.  It mentions
"sc_norxdescavail", which as near as I can tell was just a suggestion
for a more specific counter for this class of failure.  I opted to
actually introduce the more specific counter, but also to continue to
bump the MAC-visible statistic.  I also made it clear in the structure
definition which statistics are MAC-visible and which are just for our
own internal debugging purposes.

> vioif.c:913-948: Since we don't actually care how many chains there are, a
>         boolean type would be clearer.

I'd rather not make that change, given that the code up for review has
been tested and shipping for quite a while.

Thanks for looking.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer