List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    Re: [VRRP] RFC 5798 - ipv6 link-local configuration
From:       "Tim Harrison" <Tim.Harrison () Q9 ! com>
Date:       2012-05-22 14:11:20

Alexey,

Current implementations for IPv6 (of which I'm aware) do force the operator to \
manually configure a link-local address along with the global unicast address, which \
can lead to some hassles - particularly in a multivendor environment.  For example, \
certain vendors require a hard coded link-local on the interface as well as in the \
virtual router config; certain vendors utilise the same command for the global \
unicast and link-local within the VRRP configuration, etc.

We've been working with multiple vendors to find a way to implement auto-generated \
link-local addresses based on the virtual MAC as an option.  There has been some \
traction and I haven't heard of any major showstoppers thus far; however, I could be \
out of the loop on the investigation or progress (or lack thereof).  The big problem \
is getting a solution that is standarised (if you will) across vendors.

Hopefully there can be some discussion about this particular topic here.

---

Tim Harrison
Manager, Network Engineering
Q9 Networks Inc.