List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    Re: [VRRP] terminology questions
From:       "Stephen Nadas" <stephen.nadas () ericsson ! com>
Date:       2008-07-14 15:19:40

> >> 2. "Primary IP Address".
> >>
> >> It seems this concept applies only for IPv4? In IPv6
> there's no such
> >> concept and we just call its counterpart "the link-local address"?
> >
> > To my understanding, concept only applies to IPv4.  I'm not
> sure that
> > I agree with 'and we just call its counterpart "the
> link-local address"'
> > part of this bcos in general the semantics of IPv4 address !=
> > semantics of IPv6 link-local address.
>
> I think the semantics of the "Primary IP address" is to act
> as the source IP address of the VRRP advertisements. The IPv6
> link-local address also serves for this purpose, right?
> Why does the concept only apply for IPv4? I don't see a
> problem extending this concept to ipv6.

Huafeng,

Okay, I think see that what your are saying is in the context of VRRP,
and in that sense I can agree.  But "primary IP address" is (imho, far)
more widely used and I was thinking about those semantics, so I prefer
not to try to extend this concept as I think the confusion would
outweigh the benefit.

Opinion from others on the list?

Thanks,
Steve