List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    RE: [VRRP] status of draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-06.txt
From:       "Steve Bates" <Steve.Bates () alcatel-lucent ! com>
Date:       2007-02-12 21:18:54

Kalyan,

It depends on the amount of information we choose to convey.  The reason
codes you've indicated are geared toward a virtual router becoming master
and I'm not sure how applicable they are to reporting all state changes.
For example a virtual router can transition from master to backup when the
address owner comes online.  We can report this as deferring to a higher
priority but what if the owner's advertisement does not match the configured
parameters and we're actually deferring only because it's the address owner.
Would deferring to address owner be a better reason code?  If the reason
codes are relatively detailed the previous state would be superfluous.

Steve