List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    [VRRP] Clearifying IP owner definition
From:       Dmitry Golubev <dmitry () mikrotik ! com>
Date:       2003-11-13 19:44:52

Hello,

from the draft (in RFC there is, I think, the exact wording?):

IP Address Owner       The VRRP router that has the virtual router's
            		            IP address(es) as real interface address(es).
               		           This is the router that, when up, will respond
                 		    to packets addressed to one of these IP
                    		   addresses for ICMP pings, TCP connections,
                      		   etc.

From this may appear misunderstanding (or maybe it is not a
misunderstanding, but the way it actual should work????) that
IP address owner is not required to have ALL the IP addresses
of the VR, and, furthermore, that there might be more than one
owners in the VR. Further in the text it is, of course, it becomes
clear, that this is really my misunderstanding (although there is
no single place where it is said directly).

So I think the word "all" should be added in the definition to
eliminate the possibility of such misunderstanding:
...router that has all the virtual router's...

Also I think that the wording "...to one of these..." need to be
replaced to "...to any of these..." as I cannot imagine any other
need of having an IP address except for "ICMP pings, TCP
connections, etc."

Dmitry