List:       ietf-vrrp
Subject:    RE: [VRRP] Virtual MAC for IPv6
From:       "Don Provan" <dprovan () bivio ! net>
Date:       2003-08-27 23:14:20

I'm not up on modern IPv6. Could we have a review of the problem?
Are you saying that there is no IPv6 equivalent to the unsolicited
ARP that can be used to inform the network that an IPv6 address
has moved to a new MAC? Surely they didn't make that mistake when
we had so much trouble with this issue in IPv4 -- independently
of any VRRP issues -- even though the ARP spec unambiguously
described the correct behavior to make it work.

Anyway, to return to your question, if there's a flaw in IPv6
that makes it difficult to move an v6 address, I'm OK with
continuing the MAC sharing idea. But keep in mind that, so
far as anyone's been able to determine, the 802.x specs simply
do not say what happens when a MAC address physically moves,
so implementations have quite a bit of leeway in exactly what
they do. So if we really think this is how we want to deal with
the problem, we should probably work on getting 802 to define
what correct behavior is when a switch encounters this event.

-don