List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] TLS 1.3, Raw Public Keys, and Misbinding Attacks
From:       "Martin Thomson" <mt () lowentropy ! net>
Date:       2024-03-29 1:43:20

Dennis beat me to making the key point about identity :)

There are cases where identity misbinding is possible in similar systems.  RFC 8844 \
describes one such case.  However, this is not an inherent failing in TLS, but in the \
usage context.  That weakness was not the result of using raw public keys though.

What TLS *says* about this risk is really what we should be considering.  It might be \
enough to say that where TLS does not carry all of the relevant identification \
information, there is a risk of identity misbinding attacks.  This can be mitigated \
by including additional information about identity in the transcript and checking it \
for consistency (as RFC 8844 does).