List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] Draft minutes for TLS at IETF 108
From:       tom petch <ietfc () btconnect ! com>
Date:       2020-08-13 11:33:38

From: Benjamin Kaduk <bkaduk@akamai.com>
Sent: 11 August 2020 18:06

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 10:30:39AM +0000, tom petch wrote:
> [...]

oldversions-deprecate is already taking action on all RFCs that have TLS 1.0 or
1.1 as MTI (there are some 80-odd documents in the Updates: header).  The
particular itesm I was mentioning in the meeting relate to various subsets of
those documents that may need some additional handling on top of the basic
"don't use TLS 1.0/1.1; use 1.2 and 1.3 instead" that is currently the content
of the updates.  Details are at \
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tls/K9_uA6m0dD_oQCw-5kAbha-Kq5M/ So:

- RFC 5469 defines DES and IDEA ciphers that are not in TLS 1.2; the
  document as a whole should be historic

- The downgrade-detection SCSV of RFC 7507 is probably in a similar boat

- We should be more clear about "if the document being updated says you
  MUST use TLS 1.0/1.1, that part is removed"
<tp>
Benjamin

This is the bit I could not guess; the rest of the minutes I could guess but your \
explanation is much easier to understand.  I have been tracking 'diediedie', \
including the AD review, since it first appeared and more a comment on that for \
Kathleen and Stephen is that RFC5953 does not get a mention although since it is \
Obsoleted and the Normative Reference is to RFC4347 then that is a category that does \
not seem to fit in any of the paragraphs of the I-D;  Obsolete and TLS1.0 yes, \
Obsolete and DTLS1.0 no.

RFC6353 I did expect to find; Internet Standard, STD0078, Normative Reference to \
RFC4347; the Security Considerations of that RFC say 'MUST NOT negotiate SSL 2.0' \
which might not be considered sufficiently strong for 2020 but how do you update a \
Standard?

Tom Petch

- No change proposed w.r.t. MTI ciphers (even though the old MTI ciphers
  are no longer considered very good)

Were there additional specific items you were unsure about?

-Ben