List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tls-ticketrequests-01.txt
From:       "Christopher Wood" <caw () heapingbits ! net>
Date:       2019-06-08 13:33:31

Thanks for the comments, Hubert! Please see inline below.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019, at 4:37 AM, Hubert Kario wrote:
> On Friday, 7 June 2019 01:47:25 CEST internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
> > There are also htmlized versions available at:
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-ticketrequests-01
>
> > clients without server-side, per-client state. Servers vend an
>
> > number of tickets vended per connection. Second, clients do not have
>
> > NewSessionTicket messages to vend. This extension is only applicable
>
> > such services to vend tickets to clients to use for accelerated
>
> > A supporting server MAY vend TicketRequestContents.count
>
> > tickets they are willing to vend to clients. Thus, the number of
>
> typos: send, sended

Good catch -- will fix.

> I think that the use cases should list a situation in which the client does
> not expect to perform session resume, so it can inform the server of that by
> sending the value 0.

Good suggestion! We can certainly add this.

> The draft does not state what is the expected behaviour with tickets in
> relation to post-handshake authentication.

As the extension is merely a hint to servers when deciding how many tickets to vend, \
I think this is out of scope for the document.

> The draft does not state if the extension is negotiated once per session or
> its values should be reused for resumed sessions.

It's intended to be once per session, and we'll add that.

> The draft does not state how the extension interacts with Hello Retry Request
> handshake. Can it be dropped/added/changed in 2nd CH message? What is expected
> to happen when client does change it?

Also a good catch. Like other extensions that are not affected by the possibly \
updated ClientHello, it must not change. We need to specify the server side behavior, \
too.

> > Servers that support ticket requests MUST NOT echo "ticket_request"
> > in the EncryptedExtensions.
>
> It's not spelled out what the client is expected to do when server does
> violate this expectation. I'd say it should abort with unsupported_extension.

That seems reasonable to me.

Thanks again for the comments. We'll incorporate them into a next revision ASAP.

Best,
Chris (no hat)