List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] Eric Rescorla's Yes on draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates-04: (with COMMENT)
From:       Sean Turner <sean () sn3rd ! com>
Date:       2018-04-05 1:54:39

> On Mar 31, 2018, at 12:54, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:
>
> Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates-04: Yes

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates/

> COMMENT:
>
> requires standards action.  Not all parameters defined in standards
> track documents need to be marked as recommended.
> It might be useful to capitalize Recommended here.

Here and a couple of other places I capitalized recommended.

> been through the IETF consensus process, has limited applicability,
> or is intended only for specific use cases.
> I think technically it has "Recommended = No"

yeah the OPSDIR review noted this as well so I changed the sentence to be:

If an item is not marked as recommended it does …

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates/pull/62/files

> Note:  Supported Groups marked as "Yes" are those allocated via
> Standards Track RFCs.  Supported Groups marked as "No" are not;
> supported groups marked "No" range from "good" to "bad" from a
> This may need a revision because some have not been allocated that way.

Supported Groups is the one real odd-ball here because they were originally not on \
standards track, but 4492bis is going to move them there.  Would this work:

These "Yes" groups are taken from Standards Track RFCs; {{?I-D.ietf-tls-rfc4492bis}} \
elevates secp256r1 and secp384r1 to Standards Track.

> thus requiring a new construction.  The exporter interface remains
> the same, however the value is computed different.
> differently.

PR for the three changes:

https://github.com/tlswg/draft-ietf-tls-iana-registry-updates/pull/72