List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] TLS Cached Information Extension - version 11
From:       Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig () gmx ! net>
Date:       2012-07-13 9:40:38

Hi Rob,

me again.

> 2. Currently, cached-info only allows a TLS Client to indicate to the TLS Server a \
> list of static Objects that it _doesn't_ want to receive (because it already has \
> them). i.e. "Don't send me any Objects of Type X, Y or Z that match Digests A, B or \
> C".
> How about extending this so that the TLS Client can indicate types of Object that \
> it _does_ want to receive? i.e. "Do send me any Objects of Type X, Y and Z that you \
> have, excluding any that match Digests A, B or C".

I am open for feedback from the group on this issue. I have not heard anyone asking \
for it so far.

> This added functionality could meet the needs of several other TLS extensions that \
>                 are being proposed, for example...
> - Multiple OCSP Responses [2].
> - Audit proofs for Google's Certificate Transparency proposal [3].
> - TACK rules for Convergence [4].
>
> Or, is it your explicit intention to restrict cached-info so that it only supports \
> the "standard" TLS handshake objects (e.g. Certificate, Trusted CAs list). (I can \
> see that such a restriction could help to ensure that client-side code can be \
> implemented entirely within the network layer rather than bleeding into the \
> application layer).

There is no intention to restrict the functionality to certain extensions.

I do, however, believe that new documents should add a description to their document \
how this document could be used in combination with the TLS cached information \
extension.

I don't think it makes sense to add text about, for example, \
draft-pettersen-tls-ext-multiple-ocsp when that work is still in progress.

Ciao
Hannes

[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pettersen-tls-ext-multiple-ocsp
[3] http://www.links.org/file/CertificateAuthorityTransparencyandAuditability.pdf