List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] Last Call: draft-hoffman-tls-additional-random-ext (Additional Random
From:       Dean Anderson <dean () av8 ! com>
Date:       2010-04-28 12:58:50

The 'entropy pool' of /dev/random in Linux isn't really random. Its
based on keyboard input and possibly other semi-random or entirely
predictable sources.

The 3 criteria are for PRNGs. I don't dispute that /dev/random meets
these criteria; only the assertion that its better than a PRNG or that
its truly random.

It fails to be truly random by depending on non-random processes that
could be identified and predicted and/or manipulated by an attacker.  I
suggest you read resources on creating one-time pads. Its very, very
hard to get truly random numbers, and without truly random numbers, your
one-time pad will fail to be 'one-time'.  There is anecdote (I don't
know if it actually happened) of a one-time pad created by rolling dice
being compromised.

		--Dean

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Kemp, David P. wrote:

> I'm not sure why an entropy pool would not be considered "truly random"
> by any of the three criteria you cited.  If there is insufficient
> physically-generated entropy (such as on an appliance with no hard
> drives, no user timing input, and all other sources observable or
> predictable) then the process is not applicable - it cannot create
> entropy by magic.
>
> But by what criteria would it fail to be truly random (albeit at a much
> lower rate than dedicated hardware) on an uncompromised user desktop?
>
> Dave

617 256 5494