List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] New drafts: adding input to the TLS master secret
From:       Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman () vpnc ! org>
Date:       2010-01-31 1:34:08

At 5:13 PM -0500 1/30/10, Dean Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
> > The first document changes the TLS/DTLS master secret calculation when
> > there are particular kinds of extensions present. Of course, it does
> > not change the calculation when those extensions are not present, and
> > there are no extensions yet that would kick in the change.
>
> Unless I misunderstand what you plan to change, te master secret
> calculation is a core subject of TLS and thus the TLS Working Group
> activity.

You do not misunderstand what I plan to change. What I am far from clear on is \
whether this WG can add such a work item without rechartering, given that the charter \
disagrees with your view that this is inherently a WG activity. If the WG can adopt \
the work without rechartering, that would be fine with me. If, however, it takes a \
bunch of silly work, there is no need to do that: individual submission would give \
folks just as much review opportunity and will give the AD just as much input from \
the community.

> I am concerned that this is an out-of-WG framework change that
> effectively alters WG standards on the master secret calculation and
> impacts subsequent extensions; and that as it is outside of the WG
> standards process.

As you can see from the draft itself, it only affects "subsequent extensions" if \
those extensions want to be affected. That is, they have to explicitly declare \
themselves as affected; otherwise, they aren't.

> Independent submissions are not allowed on WG
> subject matter. It would seem to me that the RFC editor ought to reject
> this independent submission because it is related to WG activity, and
> amounts to an end-run around WG decision-making on master secret
> calculation and how TLS extensions affect core facilities. Merely
> bringing such work to the attention of the WG before independent
> submission seems to be insufficient to comply with the requirement that
> Working Groups decide on standards in their chartered area.

All quite true. That's why I said I intended them to be by "individual submission", \
not "independent submission".

> Changing the master secret calculation in a nonstandard way is a
> proprietary change.

True, but completely irrelevant. As one can see from the drafts themselves, they are \
meant to be on standards track.

> The WG gives approval by accepting the document,
> reviewing it, and deciding on it. Saying "Hey WG, look at this" isn't
> sufficient.  Putting an "RFC"  imprimatur on your change via independent
> submission doesn't alter the fact of WG non-standardization, but merely
> confuses both implementers and the public, and constrains WG decisions
> in the future. But of course, that's why the RFC editor is supposed to
> reject independent submissions that overlap WG work.

Again, true but irrelevant. Independent submissions are fully vetted in the IETF, and \
the AD would certainly want to be sure that there was "enough" technical discussion \
in the TLS WG before even considering the documents for IETF Last Call.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium