List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] Updated draft
From:       "tom.petch" <cfinss () dial ! pipex ! com>
Date:       2009-12-29 16:10:43

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marsh Ray" <marsh@extendedsubset.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:00 PM

> tom.petch wrote:
> > I find the reference to
> >       immediately previous handshake
> > in s.3 unclear.
>
> The complete wording from
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation-02.txt :
> >    o  For ClientHellos which are renegotiating, this field contains the
> >       verify_data from the Finished message sent by the client on the
> >       immediately previous handshake.  For current versions of TLS, this
> >       will be a 12-byte value.
> >    o  For ServerHellos which are renegotiating, this field contains the
> >       concatenation of the verify_data values sent by the client and the
> >       server (in that order) on the immediately previous handshake.  For
> >       current versions of TLS, this will be a 24-byte value.
>
> > Thinking of session resumption, as identified in RFC5246,
>
> Please don't. :-)
>
> This draft is about renegotiation, session resumption has nothing to do
> with it.
>
> I, too, used to conflate renegotiation and resumption but they are
> completely unrelated.
>
> The term "resumption" only appears in the document twice, both times
> like "even when TLS session resumption is used".
>
> > there are three cases
> > namely
> >   "The session identifier MAY be from an earlier connection,
> >    this connection, or from another currently active connection."
>
> The term "session identifier" appears nowhere in the draft. Session
> identifiers do not play a part in this fix for renegotiation.

Marsh

This quote is from the base document for which this I-D is a corrigendum,
so unless the I-D amends it, the quote still applies.

This I-D should make clear the interaction of 'immediately previous handshake'
with respect to sessions and connections and at present, I don't think it does
so.
It is unfortunate that neither sessions nor connections nor renegotiation (nor
things:-) are clearly defined so I will see what emerges from the parallel
thread
on things and then most likely raise this again

Tom Petch.