List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] Interest in TLS authorization?
From:       Sean Shen <sshen () huawei ! com>
Date:       2009-04-08 7:35:38

Hi, Nicolas,

>On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 06:12:50PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>> The only things missing then would be:
>>
>>  - how to put SAML/whatever authorization elements into Kerberos V
>>    tickets and PKIX certificates
>>
>>  - how to use SASL in TLS
>>
>> The latter is a variant of "how to use the GSS-API inside TLS", and
>> that has been controversial and has never progressed within the TLS
>> WG.  IIRC the controversy arises from the fact that the GSS-API
>> supports arbitrary round trips, and the same is true of SASL -- so
>> you're likely to run into the same issue.
>>
>> However, I think we might be able to do something about that: ride
>> some of the SASL/GSS-API messages in TLS handshake extensions and
>> complete the SASL/GSS-API authentication exchange after the TLS
>> exchange completes if the SASL/GSS-API mechanism requires
>further round-trips.
>> Such a protocol would only be usable by applications that
>support such
>> a protocol as that'd not be "TLS" -- but consider how many SASL apps
>> run over TLS.
>
>Though, I should point out, this would be negotiable as it's
>merely an optional round-trip optimization for the application
>protocol.  It's only applicable when it is safe to defer
>integrity protection for inital application protocol messages.
> This extension that I'm proposing is a therefore a bit more
>general than TLS+SASL or TLS+GSS-API.
>
>So I see several documents:
>
>1) An extension to TLS client and server hello and handshake messages
>   for carrying application protocol messages that can safely have
>   integrity protection delayed.

Does this mean to have more rounds before [ChangeCipherSpec]? In this way,
as you said, it would not be "TLS" anymore, and certainly definitions of new
messages are needed besides extensions.
If extra rounds are finished after [ChangeCipherSpec]£¬these messages will
have integrity protection, in this case, it's the application data which are
defered. Or did I misunderstand something?

Sean