List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    Re: [TLS] Closing some open comments on draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation
From:       Sebastian Gajek <gajek () post ! tau ! ac ! il>
Date:       2009-12-16 10:06:24

I totally agree. My suggestion was meant as an alternative to the
TLS-renegotiation proposal. One needs to define what is meant by a state
that contains all previous session messages. I am not sure whether you need
a fake ciphersuite for that. You simply need a mechanisms that tells the
parties that TLS session is "alive" (like in the lower layer protocols). I
am a little bit worried about using the previous-session finished messages
as a sub-session identifier (SUSI) in plain text. Imagine there is in future
a higher-layer protocol that allows the attacker to access the TLS
transcript (think of a powerful application like AFLEX). Given the attacker
the finished values in clear means that he gets a verification oracle for
free. I am not saying this leads to a concrete attack. However, this oracle
is unnecessary and can be circumvented by the above proposal.

"Yoav Nir" <ynir@checkpoint.com> wrote 14/12/09 22:35:

> It would be easy to require this, but it's not compliant with the current
> spec. The current spec says that the finished value depends on all the bytes
> starting with the first byte of the ClientHello.
>
> We may do just that for some future version of TLS (1.3? 2.0? 4.0?) but adding
> the previous finished message is a change to the spec, one that requires some
> sort of signaling, either with a fake cipher suite or with an extension.

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]