List:       ietf-tls
Subject:    RE: [TLS] SIV Ciphersuites for TLS
From:       <Pasi.Eronen () nokia ! com>
Date:       2008-01-08 10:10:39

Dan Harkins wrote:

>   Hi Pasi,
>
>   Thank you very much for your comments on my draft. A few comments on
> your comments.
>
>   Deriving a fresh key is not the issue, it's whether one can
> guarantee that a nonce will never be misused for a given (fresh) key.
>
>   The other thing I will take issue with is your statement that
> nonce management is "the job of the TLS library". That very much
> depends on the TLS library. The API to call AES in CBC mode in
> OpenSSL takes an IV from the caller-- i.e. the application
> programmer.

In OpenSSL, an application programmer using TLS does *not* supply
any IVs, and never directly uses any AES CBC mode APIs (or anything
similar -- all that happens inside the TLS part of the library).

An application programmer might use the OpenSSL's AES APIs
for *other* purposes than TLS, and I do agree that there
SIV can be much safer to use than GCM.

Best regards,
Pasi