List:       ietf-saag
Subject:    Re: [saag] Snowden 10 years after
From:       Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf () sandelman ! ca>
Date:       2023-07-25 13:10:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Independent Submissions Editor (Eliot Lear) <rfc-ise@rfc-editor.org> wrote:
    > Your Independent Submissions Editor here.=C2=A0 This past week, RFC 9=
446
    > entitled "Reflections on Ten Years Past the Snowden Revelations" was
    > published.=C2=A0 I bring this to your attention because the security =
area
    > had a large part to do with the community response to those
    > revelations.=C2=A0 Stephen will be discussing the draft at HRPC and I=
 will
    > discuss it in a slightly different way at IABOPEN.=C2=A0 But perhaps
    > everyone should be giving some thought to what we have accomplished,
    > what challenges remain, and how the threat surface has changed.

It's a really good read, particularly for those who might not have lived
through the crypto-wars.  The history of DES key size that SMB writes about
is fascinating, and that part preceeds me.  I didn't know that clipper got
shipped in that phone...  I think that the situation around 40bit-RC4 is
instructive for anyone that wasn't there too.

=2D-
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 I=C3=B8T consulti=
ng )