List:       ietf-saag
Subject:    Re: [saag] [pkix] fyi: CA/Browser Forum (CABF) reform deliberations + Revocation and TLS/SSL Replace
From:       Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-17 6:38:32

SK is a TTP system as the notaries are still trusted to provide
availability even if the other aspects of operation are
cryptographically constrained against default.

A group of notaries could collude to establish a cartel and extract
functional pricing for their services if there was a sufficiently
large number of relying parties.

Alternatively they can simply publish a key for party X and then
ransom it to the legitimate owner of the domain.

SK is a silly, silly scheme that should be laughed off the stage. It
punts on all the hard problems of PKI by asserting an administrative
model that is ludicrous. 'google.com' must be worth a couple of
billion dollars at least. I cannot see anyone with a valuable domain
name risking it to a scheme that has revocation mechanism in case of
administrative error.

'Don't make mistakes' is not a viable administrative approach.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/