List:       ietf-saag
Subject:    [saag] MSEC summary
From:       Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti () qualcomm ! com>
Date:       2008-03-13 17:41:18

We spent 1 hour on Wednesday discussing new work items.

There are requirements related to a signaling protocol (RSVP) and
routing protocols (e.g., OSPF, NLS) which point to the need for group
key management protocols.  There are indications that the work needs to
happen in MSEC; although there is caution from the TSV ADs that the
requirements do not imply that a particular protocol can be adopted as a
MSEC work item.

The direction would have been to extend GDOI to satisfy these
requirements.  As it stands now, we see no urgency for that work to
happen.  It appears that may be a longer term goal and so we agreed to
proceed with the current GDOI extensions work (unrelated to the new
requirements, and related to hash algorithm agility and other minor
changes based on implementation experience).

The authors are advised to continue the work as individual work.

Next, Dan Wing presented his SRTP key transport work which works over
DTLS.  MSEC has a work item on group keying for SRTP, GDOI-SRTP.  Sheela
Rowles compared to the two approaches and after some discussion the
conclusion was to pursue optimization of GDOI-SRTP for large groups and
DTLS-SRTP-Key transport for small groups.  As a side note, Dan was asked
to study if there are indeed difficulties in using the TLS-based
solution for large groups.

TESLA-for-alc-norm is ready for WGLC.

There was also a presentation on extending MIKEY to support mode
negotiation.

regards,
Lakshminath