List:       ietf-saag
Subject:    [saag] TLS in application protocols - summary so far
From:       "Paul V Ford-Hutchinson" <paulfordh () uk ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2001-10-17 8:59:33

This is an S/MIME signed message.

Summarising the discussion so far (as I read it)

- The separate port approach is a bad idea and no new proposal should
include it.  In the protocols where the practice is not widespread today,
it should not be encouraged.

- HTTP TLS upgrade (RFC2817) is not deployable in the general web
client/server case.  To migrate from port 443 (implicit TLS) to port 80
(negotiated TLS) will require RFC2817 to be replaced - there is currently
no work being done to do this.

- The multi-homing problem can be solved for https: by the adoption and
implementation of the DNSname extension to TLS.  This is a pragmatic
approach.

- For other (not http) protocols, virtual hosting should be achieved by
the application protocol, prior to a TLS upgrade.

========

I guess that begs some new questions:

- Once DNSname is out there, will there ever be the impetus to replace the
port 443 approach ?  Do we care ?

- How tenable is it to have fundamentally different approaches for
different protocols ?  (The way we want to do it for most protocol vs the
way we don't want to do it for the most used protocol)

- Should we insist that the DNSname extension addresses the fact that the
application layer may be also performing a host name negotiation (either
before or after the TLS one) and specify behaviour ?  (is there
precedence: app vs TLS; first decided; or must there be agreement ? - what
to do in the case of failure).

Paul

--
Paul Ford-Hutchinson :  eCommerce application security :
paulfordh@uk.ibm.com

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]