List:       ietf-pkix
Subject:    Re: Embedded certificate image
From:       Stefan Santesson <stefan () aaa-sec ! com>
Date:       2009-08-14 13:43:24

I would like to conclude this discussion, at least with respect to this
draft.

The fact of the case is that the scope of this draft is limited to defining
a new image type to be referenced through the logotype extension defined in
RFC3709.

All RFC 3709 allows in this context is to define an OID and its semantics.
There are no extensibility mechanism available through which one can provide
any extra random bits to the image.

The question is therefore not what could be done to safely include image
data in a certificate signed with a poor signature algorithm, but if it is
reasonable to reference the data URL scheme as one optional way to store the
referenced image without adding any random data.

My proposal is to allow the data url scheme for embedding an image, but to
clarify the risk of including images provided by a potential attacker in
combination with a week signing hash.

Would anyone strongly object?

/Stefan