List:       ietf-pkix
Subject:    Re: Random PKI critiques [was: Rationales for CA clearance constraints]
From:       "Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren () telia ! com>
Date:       2008-10-30 17:16:20

Tim's statement regarding JVM is indeed correct and actually you
have to *install* the applet (I.e. accepting a signed software)
which doesn't work well in some environments.

I also wonder if Microsoft would be terribly interested in establishing
Java as a web signature standard (although we are almost there...).

Regarding HTML5 and signatures, I recently received a note from
one of the core developers who said they had tabled that item.
IMHO that was the right thing to do, because before progress
can be done, the integration of signatures in information systems
must be specified otherwise it won't deliver.

If somebody wonders what this is about I can give you a hint:
In a browser-session a "signature" today means hitting an OK
button or similar while being shown a static view of something
(purchase, doctor appointment, end-user agreement etc.) which
means that the user-view is just a presentation not the actual transaction.
Actually, the user-view is not even a presentation of a transaction,
but a transaction *request*; the transaction itself is *optionally*
performed *after* receival of the OK.  IMHO, a web-browser
signature scheme should be aligned with this notion although there
surely are people who object to that since this has few if any
simularities with signed e-mail.  OTOH; On-line <<>> off-line.

Anders