List:       ietf-pkix
Subject:    (Other) dubious uses of PKI technology [was: Rationales for CA clearance constraints]
From:       "Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren () telia ! com>
Date:       2008-10-30 9:34:10

Hi Moudrick,

> http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/6484/5644

There is a problem with EU PKI efforts and it is called Germany.
In Germany invoices must be signed by qualified signatures which
are personal signatures.   To make this practical, security companies
provide devices that can host dozens of smart cards, all issued for
an "authorized person" who with a single PIN-code can sign
multiple invoices.   This is of course very inefficient and expensive,
and has nothing to do with IT which is about improving processes.

The German PKI schemes and MIT's ECAT  ( http://web.mit.edu/ecat )
top my list of incorrect application of PKI technology.

In ECAT a client cert is used for merchant login while a server-cert
is used for securing the purchase order to the very same merchant.
What's the logic in that?   In addition, I once demonstrated how
I could hack the merchant login with notepad and some HTML
in spite of using PKI.  It was not due to a bad implementation,
but to a flaw in the architecture itself.   The consortia that once
raised this scheme (OBI) ceased to exist some seven years ago,
including their web-site.

Anders