List:       ietf-nfsv4
Subject:    [nfsv4] RE: blocks draft 01: operation issues
From:       Black_David () emc ! com
Date:       2005-07-29 23:35:34

> I don't understand the following under operation issues:
>
>        The LAYOUTCOMMIT operation appears to have some LAYOUTRETURN side
>        effects.  This should be separated so that LAYOUTCOMMIT does not
>        return any layout extents; the required LAYOUTRETURN can be in a
>        compound immediately after the LAYOUTCOMMIT.
>
> Questions:
> - What side effects?
>
> - How does LAYOUTCOMMIT return extents in the current proposal?

I thought I saw text in an older version that enabled extent return
via LAYOUTCOMMIT - whatever the text at issue was, it's not in the
current -03 version.  My primary concern was server tracking of client
response to recalls - the tracking should only involve LAYOUTRETURN
ops.  I'll go take that issue out of my working version of the pNFS
blocks draft.

> The way I view it, is that LAYOUTRETURN hands back the layout saying it
> is not going to be used anymore.  Since LAYOUTCOMMIT is for handling
> writes, mtime should be only set at LAYOUTCOMMIT time.  I could imagine
> atime being updated by LAYOUTRETURN, but only if it was a hint (similar
> to the way time is updated by LAYOUTCOMMIT).  SETATTR should be used to
> explicitly set any times.

Seems ok.  My primary concern was server tracking of client response
to a recall - the tracking should only involve LAYOUTRETURN ops.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754