List:       ietf-nfsv4
Subject:    RE: Updated revision draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3010bis-01-01.txt availa
From:       "Noveck, Dave" <Dave.Noveck () netapp ! com>
Date:       2002-06-06 13:46:26

I think there are issues (or at least an issue) that arose out of the
"Strange file names" thread which Peter Astrand began in

http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/nfsv4-wg-archive/2001/0767.html

and continued in 2002 with

http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/nfsv4-wg-archive/2002/0003.html

et seq.

In fact, in http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/nfsv4-wg-archive/2002/0016.html

Spencer wrote:

> > > Given that, I think returning INVAL for this is utter folly. How do
> > > you debug if any operation that has a name in it may return INVAL? When
> > > you get INVAL, it means that the server objected to one of the names
> > > in it or there is something else wrong with the operation. Why make
> > > it difficult for ourselves? Let's define things so that when we get
> > > INVAL we can look for something invalid and when we get
> > > NFS4ERR_TheServerChoosesToConsiderYourNameInvalid we can address that.
> >
> > Agree. I can confirm that it's very difficult to write test cases when you
> > must prepare for INVAL on almost every error, and yet you cannot record
> > this INVAL response as an server fault.
>
> Agreed. I have placed an item on my todo list to add another error
> value for the "invalid name" case.

I didn't see this on the issues list although I did see at least one item
(Issue88) that would be affected by this issue.