List:       ietf-nfsv4
Subject:    Re: fileid in NFSv4
From:       Spencer Shepler <Spencer.Shepler () eng ! sun ! com>
Date:       2000-06-05 5:23:35

mre wrote:

> > My objection is to putting such wishy-washy language in the spec.  Especially
> > when we relax the limits totally and talk of not reusing for "several hours".
>
> After realizing that Solaris cachefs code caches file handles on disk,
> I quite agree with you that "hours" is not sufficient. It would be best to
> not mention a time frame, or at least point out that scenarios where
> clients cache file handles for long periods of time.

Okay. I will remove the time frame statement and add the following to
this paragraph:

"Note that a client may cache a filehandle for a very long time.  For
example, a client may cache NFS data to local storage as a method to
expand its effective cache size and as a means to survive client
restarts.  Therefore, the lifetime of a cached filehandle will be
greatly extended."

Spencer