List:       ietf
Subject:    Re: Last Call: Telnet Authentication Option to ProposedStandard
From:       William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon ! com>
Date:       1999-11-24 14:58:56

Johan Danielsson opined:
> Another layer to what? What other security is there that I have
> control over? Please enlighten me about this mysterious security that
> works by magic, and that nobody talks about.

Maybe you aren't talking to the right folks....

I use Nifty Telnet with SSH, and OpenSSH is on the other end.  SSL (TLS)
is incorporated in my Navigator browser, and OpenSSL is on the other end.
NAI PGPnet is in my menu bar, and OpenBSD or Linux FreeSWAN is on the
other end.

(Niven?)

> Historic implies that it isn't in general use. Telnet encryption is,
> no matter what you think about it.

4.2.4  Historic

   A specification that has been superseded by a more recent
   specification or is for any other reason considered to be obsolete is
   assigned to the "Historic" level.  (Purists have suggested that the
   word should be "Historical"; however, at this point the use of
   "Historic" is historical.)

WSimpson@UMich.edu