List:       ietf
Subject:    It was started so long ago (was: Update on www.ietf.org)
From:       S Moonesamy <sm+ietf () elandsys ! com>
Date:       2018-01-31 19:58:15

Hello,
At 06:52 PM 16-01-2018, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>Now, about the lessons learned.
>
>As Russ notes above, this project was started
>nearly four years ago. It was started so long
>ago that people can't remember the feedback they
>gave in the early rounds of community comment —
>or that community comment was sought at all. It
>was started so long ago that the entire IAOC,
>except the ISOC CEO, is different now than when
>it started. When I think about the big picture,
>the fact that it could take four years to re-do
>our web site is what really stands out. We do
>not have a viable structure for carrying out
>this sort of externally facing function, which
>is a necessary function for an organization that
>exists in the world. Within our administrative
>structure this function is at once many people's
>responsibility and nobody's responsibility.

I'll highlight the following: "many people's
responsibility and nobody's responsibility".  If
a person is on a committee, is he/she responsible
for the decisions taken by the previous
committee?  If the project was viewed as a
success, who would take credit for that?

I don't see anything in the various BCPs which
says that nobody is responsible.  There are
actually statements about "responsibility" in the
documents.  If there is anything to learn, I'd
say that what is written about the administrative
structure does not work in practice.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy