List:       ietf
Subject:    Re: plenary discussion about WG use of meeting space and times
From:       Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf () sandelman ! ca>
Date:       2016-07-21 8:59:12

Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:
    > One approach, therefore, would be to follow Michael Richardson's
    > suggestion to shorten WG times, but perhaps provide for announced
    > breakouts where rooms are assigned, and where AV is available.  Those
    > meetings might take place at lunch, after dinner, before the first
    > normal WG meeting of the day, etc.  These ad hocs would focus on a
    > single task or area.  Multiple ad hocs might occur simultaneously, even
    > from the same WG.

This is exactly what I had in mind.
I hadn't thought about the multiple ad-hocs, but for a group like 6man this
would make sense.

I also had some additional notion that if a group needed more than 1hr,
that they would get the 1hr, followed immediately with a 1hr allocation to a
"side" room.
(The side room allocation would ignore all conflicts)
(Some might want more than 1hr, but I think a break makes sense, and an
additional allocation...)

    > This idea would clearly require other changes, and would probably cost
    > money.  But perhaps it's an idea to consider.  The benefit is that those
    > working on particularly gnarly issues can get some additional time all
    > together.  The reason that Marc held so many interims was that httpbis
    > needed more than two hours in a week.

yes...

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-