List:       ietf
Subject:    Re: meeting attendance & nomcom
From:       Jari Arkko <jari.arkko () piuha ! net>
Date:       2009-01-14 21:18:14

Like Stephen said, we have even more urgent problems if the attendance
goes way down. Lets focus our immediate energy on that front. I'm sure
the IAOC and Russ have already spent quite a bit of time on that...
Also, if this becomes a serious nomcom issue, I suspect the biggest hit
would be taken for the 2010 nomcom. 2009 nomcom will be decided based on
attendance between IETF-70 and IETF-74, so even if you stopped coming
since Minneapolis you'd still be eligible. So I think we have about a
year to change the rule, if needed.

That being said, the nomcom attendance rule is just a convenient way to
measure the nomcom member's exposure to the IETF process. Its not the
only or necessarily even the best way to measure it. From my perspective
the nomcom member needs to have some experience of the people in current
positions, experience of other IETF folk that might be selected, and a
general feeling of what is happening in the IETF, what works well, what
does not, etc. In other words, a nomcom member should preferably have
some amount of IETF experience. This could be measured by:

- attendance in meetings
- participation in a design team, conference call, etc.
- activity in the mailing list
- editor, chair, directorate member, etc. role
- authoring a document and taking it through the process

I wouldn't necessarily raise any particular item above the others here.
But if pressed for another definition than attendance, I'd probably look
at the last one. FWIW last year there were 494 different people who
would have qualified. The nice thing about using that rule is that it
forces the person to go through many things, including getting his work
accepted by a BOF/WG, working with peer reviews in the WG, dealing with
IESG reviews, etc. So presumably one would get a lot of experience of
how the process works, which people seem helpful and so on.

Its not a problem free definition either, of course. For instance, some
of my documents have co-authors that did major work on the
specification, but never attended the IETF and would have very little to
say in nomcom.

Jari