List:       ids
Subject:    IDS: RE: Hybrid Sensors and encrypted network traffic
From:       "Ballerini, Jean Paul (ISS Zurich)" <JPBallerini () iss ! net>
Date:       2001-04-24 13:04:47

Archive: http://msgs.securepoint.com/ids
FAQ IDS: http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/ID_FAQ.htm
FAQ NIDS: http://www.ticm.com/kb/faq/idsfaq.html
IDS: http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~sobirey/ids.html
HELP: Having problems... email questions to ids-owner@uow.edu.au
NOTE: Remove this section from reply msgs otherwise the msg will bounce.
SPAM: DO NOT send unsolicted mail to this list.
Hi Micheal,

I am sorry to step in the conversation a bit late, but I think I have my bit
to add.

I agree with the fact that you should never choose a product blindely. I
agree that non-vendor centric groups can be very helpful.
I just wonder at the end which solution requires more "resourcefulness" to
get to the same level of security.

Said that, I would like to support you in non trusting encrypted traffic.
Very simple scenario:
An employee goes home with his laptop and navigates on the web for long
enough for a trojan to be installed. He than connect via VPN to his
company's intranet and there you go, the trojan can ride!

I might state the obvious, but don't forget that you cannot get to the
proper level of security with only one product. That employee should have a
personal FW, he should have his machine locked down. He should close and
reopen the connection before entering the intranet. Etc, etc.

Thanks for your time,

	Jean Paul Ballerini

ISSX Internet Security Systems AG     Tel: +41 (0)1 3083679
Jean Paul Ballerini                   Fax: +41 (0)1 3083500
System Engineer CH/A                  Mob: +41 (0)79 2547364
World Trade Center                    email: jpballerini@iss.net
Leutschenbachstrasse 95
CH-8050 Zurich                        web: http://www.iss.net/
Switzerland

      *** Internet Security Systems - The Power to Protect ***