List:       icu4c-support
Subject:    Re: ICU Data library file much smaller than expected.
From:       Andy Heninger <andyh () jtcsv ! com>
Date:       2004-06-16 22:29:17

Palmer, Patrick wrote:
> I'm building with ICU 2.8 and for some reason the libicudata.so file is only
> from 2k-4k depending on the system I'm on.

It sounds like the build is configured to have the data in a .dat file
or in separate files, rather than in a dll.  When configured this way,
ICU will build a stub data dll that satisfies the link dependencies;
this stub will be a couple of k in size.

Here are the configure options

   --with-data-packaging=type specify how to package ICU data (files,
archive, library, auto) [default=auto]

The (auto) default option is to produce a library.

See if rerunning configure (or runConfigureICU) with  the library option
and then rebuilding fixes the problem.

--
   -- Andy Heninger
      heninger@us.ibm.com