List:       icu
Subject:    Re: Request for Coptic or Ethiopic Calendar
From:       Daniel Yacob <locales () geez ! org>
Date:       2004-12-30 16:42:36

Greetings All,

A colleague and I have a working ICU EthiopicCalendar class that we are
presently developing test cases for and should be presentable in 2-3 weeks.
As a matter of coordination I wanted to mention it here in the event someone
else has started work on an Ethiopic or Coptic class or was intending to
do so.  If so, please contact me at once.

We have applied what might be called the "Hamburg" or "Kudlek" algorithm
which is unencumbered by licensing issues and employs the Julian Day Number
for conversions and so is well suited for the ICU framework.  Loosely, during
the early part of '05 we would like to provide Coptic and Ethiopic classes
for incorporation into ICU, a Holiday bundle for Ethiopia, and then work
toward locale integration.

thank you,

/Daniel