List:       icu
Subject:    RE: MS/Unix BOM FAQ again (small fix)
From:       Yves Arrouye <yves () realnames ! com>
Date:       2002-04-10 21:55:00

> Yes. However, you only need to do this if the text is not tagged with
> the encoding. When it is, all this is moot.

For the autodetection that is true. But when text is tagged / identified as
"UTF-16" and your "UTF-16" decoder 1/ doesn't obey the BOM, and 2/ doesn't
take bytes with the most significant one first as per conformance clause C3
of TUS 3.0, then I am arguing that this decoder is seriously broken for
anybody but someone very familiar with the behavior of that particular
decoder (whose name at the very least is misleading).

YA