List:       icecast
Subject:    Re: [Icecast] Listener stats
From:       Philipp Schafft <phschafft () de ! loewenfelsen ! net>
Date:       2024-02-13 11:11:04

Good morning,

On Tue, 2024-02-13 at 11:51 +0100, tyctor@post.cz wrote:
> On Tue, 2024-02-13 at 11:33 +0100, epirat07@gmail.com wrote:
> > On 13 Feb 2024, at 11:19, tyctor@post.cz wrote:
> > > we have script which check every two minutes if stream is
> > > available
> > > script just use ffprobe to connect and read stream title
> > >
> > > i have question if/how this connection will count to Listeners or
> > > Listeners Peak
> >
> > It will count like any other listener. There is nothing special
> > going on here why it would not.

as magical as Icecast is, there is little magic on the inside. I'm
fully with you. To Icecast any client is a client. Icecast doesn't
discriminate by type, kind, resource, or colour of a client. ;)

> understand, but this is only short (about 2 seconds) connection
> so in Listeners it will increase about 1 every two minutes, right?
> and how about Listeners Peak, how this value is counted?

Even if it's just two seconds, it is a connection.

There are basically three values:
 * The current listeners: This is how many are connected right now. So
   your script will increase this by one for said 2 seconds and then it
   will return to it's old value (given no other listeners
   connect/disconnect in that time).
 * The peak listeners: This is the maximum value for the current
   listeners Icecast has seen since the source mounted. So your script
   will count here only if it does connect while in a peak situation to
   begin with. And then it might increase the value by one.
 * The accumulative sum of all listeners: This is increased by one for
   every listeners. This includes your script but also for example the
   infamous "double connections" by Apple devices. While this value is
   technically correct and often provides a good hint it needs to be
   taken with a grain of salt.

Hope that helps!

With best regards,

--
Philipp Schafft (CEO/Geschäftsführer) Telephone:           +49.3535 490
17 92 Website:             https://www.loewenfelsen.net/ Follow